TR 6 replacment of exaust

To: "James Rader" <jayrader@hotmail.com>
Subject: TR 6 replacment of exaust
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 09:30:53 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "James Rader"
> I have recently replaced my stock exhaust system on my 74 TR6 with a
free
flow exhaust. They are a tad bit too loud for my taste.They are great for
short trips but extended periods at 3000 RPM are nerve racking. I am
thinking
about the stainless steel falcon system?  I need input on different exhaust
systems for my 6.
<

James,

I agree with you about how a neet sounding exhaust can get on the nerves
after extended periods on the highway.  My TR6 exhaust is just that way.
And it is the Falcon stock replacement exhaust.  I think the problem is due
to the thin materials they used in the muffler allows the outer walls to
vibrate creating an unpleasent resonant buzz (the loose baffle inside
doesn't help, either).  Perhaps I got a lemon.  The stock, mild steel
exhaust sounds much more refined and subdued and is virtually drowned out
by road noise at highway speeds.

I used to have a car that had the Falcon Sport Exhaust which had a very
sweet sound (in my opinion).  In fact, I would rate it as one of the best
sounding exhaust systems I have heard  It was a little bit loud with the
top down but with the top up (and the back window zipped) it wasn't too
bad.  With the hard top in place it was just right - not loud but
pleasently present.

This was on a 74 with the twin exhaust.  I don't know if the singel exhaust
would sound the same.

Cheers and happy hunting.

Dave