Wiper Problem

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wiper Problem
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 05:53:55 -0700 (PDT)
Tom Dertz discussed an intermittent wiper problem he had which sounds familiar:

This problem sounds like a bad connection/grounding problem to me.  I'd check
the grounding bolts on the wipers first to make sure they have a good ground
connection.  I also had a similar problem that manifested itself during a heavy
rainstorm at 75 MPH beside an 18 wheeler in Atlanta (major excitement) that I
traced to the fuse box.  The significant electrical draw of the lights and
wiper at the same time caused the connectors in the fuse box to heat up, expand
and lose continuity with the fuse thus interrupting the circuit until it cooled
down, then it would begin working again until it got hot again and etc.  I
ended up removing the fuse box, sand blasting the insides where the rivets hold
the fuse clips on and soldering the fuse clips to the bar where the rivets are
located.  Then I thoroughly cleaned the insides of the ends of the clips that
hold the fuse, squeezed them together so they would make a good contact with
the fuse and reinstalled the fuse box.  I have had no further trouble after
over a year and 5K miles.

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6