RE: TR4 Speedometer

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Speedometer
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 18:57:30 -0700
Hi Tim, and welcome to the ranks of Triumph owners!

The problem with your speedo is clearly that it's out of oil, remember if it
doesn't leak it must be out.
Top it up with a little 20/50 and all will be well!

Seriously, since it doesn't work at all, the cable is the most likely
suspect.  Start by checking that it's connected on both ends and appears to
be in good condition.  If it is, divide the problem by disconnecting the
cable at the speedometer head, and checking that the core turns as you drive
the car (or jack up the rear wheels and let them spin).  Press on it with
your thumb to be sure it will turn against a little resistance.  If it does,
your speedo head likely needs attention.  If not, then the cable or the
drive gear is likely bad.  If your car has overdrive, the right angle drive
is also a suspect.

There are numerous parts suppliers around, but unfortunately I don't know of
any within a reasonable distance of Susanville.  However, you could check at
your local auto parts store, mine comes up with the part at least sometimes.
The 'Big Three' LBC (Little British Car) mail order houses are :

The Roadster Factory
328 Killen Road, Armagh, Pennsylvania, USA
http://www.the-roadster-factory.com

Moss Motors
440 Rutherford Street, Goleta, CA
http://mossmotors.com

and Victoria British
14600 W. 107th St, Lenexa, KS, 66215
http://www.victoriabritish.com/

Of the three, Moss makes it easiest by far to order over the web.  TRF and
VB don't have their catalogs on-line yet (although the printed catalogs are
worth having).  However, if you have the factory Spare Parts Catalog (which
I recommend anyway), you can order the factory numbers from TRF.

Randall Young
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (currently sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver (Real Soon Now)