Another TR6 flywheel question

To: "Houghtaling" <oldtoys@brick.net>
Subject: Another TR6 flywheel question
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 10:03:24 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Houghtaling"
>I took my TR6 flywheel to my local NAPA dealer who does flywheel
machining.
I got it back with two surface levels.  The clutch face surface is a little
deeper than the surface where the clutch attaches.  I thought it was flat
when I took it in.  The difference is only about 2 or 3 sheets of paper
thick.  Is this going to be a problem?  (Or is it correct?)
<

I have had a a number of flywheels resurfaced and I have never seen
this done.  I suspect it was done this way because the machinist did
not want to remove the alignment pins so he worked around them.

Will it work?  I don't know.  It will reduce the total amount of spring
pressure exerted by the pressure plate but by how much?  Take a
look at how deep the rivets are in the lining.  Consider that the
lining can wear down to the rivets and the clutch will still work
(although it may start to slip at this point).  Is this step a significant
portion of this distance?  If it is then I would suspect that the onset
of clutch slippage will come early.

Dave