Dead TR4 - Need Help!

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dead TR4 - Need Help!
From: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 20:36:10 -0500
Arrgggh...  Okay, I took my car out for a quick spin around the neighborhood
today, and for the first time since I've owned the car, it did not return
under it's own power (I'm sure that's probably a first for a Triumph
<grin>).  Anyway... before dying completely, the car started missing... and
backfiring a little.  It got progressively worse, and I tried to coax it
home, but it died on me on a rather steep uphill grade.

Here's the last couple of things I touched on the car...

Today I slightly adjusted the choke throttle set screw (to add a little more
throttle while choking) and I place a couple of drops of oil on the
distributor (the screw under the rotor arm.  So, I did have the distributor
cap off... and by a "strange" coincidence, I'm fairly certain my problem is
electrical, since I get no spark when I lay a spark plug against the engine
block and crank it.

I do get a noticeable spark between the points when I separate them with the
ignition switched on.

I also checked resistance across everything that looks like it should be
connected inside the distributor, and all the connection appear to be good.
I get an "open" resistance across the points when they're open.

I also checked the resistance across the coil (I couldn't remember what it
should be), but I get no resistance (short) across the coil.  Is this right?
At this point, and based on my limited knowledge regarding the sparks and
magic end of things, I'm guessing the coil.  The car has been hard starting
lately as well.

Any input/suggestions/help greatly appreciated (as always).

Kurtis J.
1963 TR4
www.geocities.com/tr4_1963