RE: TR4 Brake Restrictor Valve, etc

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Brake Restrictor Valve, etc
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 15:04:06 -0700
Geo :

The restrictor valve was only fitted on a certain range of cars, early disc
braked cars did not have it, nor did later ones.  It is supposed to cause
the front brakes to drag lightly all the time, in an attempt to eliminate
the "dreaded pad knock-back" that someone else mentioned.  Sounds to me like
yours is working as designed.  It actually holds pressure in both the front
and rear brakes, but it's not enough to overcome the return springs in the
rear.

I removed the restrictor guts from my TR3A years ago (as I recall removing
the entire valve raised an issue of fitting compatibility), and I've never
been tempted to replace it.  I can notice a little bit of knock-back, if I
drive the car hard without using the brakes for awhile, but it's never been
enough to bother me.  The pedal is perhaps 1" lower the first time I use the
brakes after doing a very twisty road.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO (sidelined for OD gearbox install)