RE: anti theft ideas

To: "'Fred Thomas'" <vafred@erols.com>, Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: anti theft ideas
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:21:34 -0500
Time for another little story.

In 1986 I too searched for an idea to stop people sitting in my TR6 after it
was stolen by a joyrider. I got it back 5 weeks later after it was found
abandoned in the Laurentiens north of Montreal. I wanted to ensure that it
didn't happen again. Along came a friend who was a Volkswagen Beatle
fanatic. He suggested the following:

Take the electrical starter from the gas-burning cabin heater for the
Beatle. It is a rather odd looking small brick with a set or reed contacts
on one end. 6 volts DC goes into one wire and a rapid set of 10000V sparks
come out on another. Even better with 12 volts. He suggested putting a wire
mesh on the seat and use some copper wire on the steering wheel wrapping
connected to the ground.

Turn on the box when the car is unattended. Joy rider sits in car and grabs
steering wheel. Zap! Right through the pants! Careful placement of the grid
on the seat could result in some pretty impressive soprano shrieks.

He gave me one of the boxes. It really works. Really stings when you touch
the wire. I have never had the nerve to set it up on the car, but am
seriously beginning to think about it.

Today's events seem to show that you can kill any number of people under the
most deplorable of circumstances and still get away with it. If being
stressed about the noise the kids is making is a good enough excuse to kill
5 of them, imagine what zapping a thief who was molesting your antique
sports car would be good for. They would probably give you a medal. That, or
using the perverse logic of the courts, they might just shoot you on the
spot.

Mark Hooper