Re: Idiot Chronicles, 2002 second entry

To: <pandachadwell@mac.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Idiot Chronicles, 2002 second entry
From: "Jeff Johnson" <mondolux@mail.speakeasy.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:41:34 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
see one. =0D
=0D
Early-on  candidate for screw-up of  2002, =0D
Jeff Johnson=0D
'76 TR6=0D
  =0D
=0D
-------Original Message-------=0D
=0D
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell=0D
Date: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 11:34:51 PM=0D
Subject: Idiot Chronicles, 2002 First Entry=0D
=0D
Who was it that said our mistakes are the only things we can TRULY =0D
call our own?=0D
=0D
As I recall some of the 'Idiot Chronicle' stories that have been =0D
posted on this list in the past, I'm sure that my latest faux pas may =0D
be fairly easy to beat as the new year wears on, but under the =0D
circumstances it seems particularly deserving of 'Idiot Chronicle' =0D
status nonetheless.=0D
=0D
In my last post, I had just managed to start the TR6 after replacing =0D
the cap and rotor, but was complaining about how poorly the car was =0D
running.=0D
=0D
Before I go much further, I must jump ahead and say that I've STILL =0D
got some sort of fuel delivery problem or intermittent malfunction in =0D
the XR700 module. (with my luck, probably BOTH!) I know this =0D
because while I have completely restored the idle on the TR6, it will =0D
only run for a few minutes before it starts to stammer and eventually =0D
dies again. The time interval may translate into the time it takes =0D
to empty the float chambers, or the time it takes for heat to cause =0D
the module to malfunction. But I'll figure all that out in good =0D
time=0D
let's get on to the good stuff!=0D
=0D
To cut to the chase, I had the damned firing order screwed up! What =0D
a moron! In my haste, although I THOUGHT I was being careful and =0D
paying attention, I hooked the plug wires up with a firing order of =0D
1-5-3-6-4-2 instead of 1-5-3-6-2-4! Duuhhh! That explains the =0D
misfire!! However, while correcting this did wonders for the idle, =0D
it didn't help it run for any longer period of time. It dies after =0D
running initially for about 3 or 4 minutes. It will not start =0D
immediately afterward. It will TRY to start, so there's some spark =0D
happening somewhere, but it won't run.=0D
=0D
Next step is to change the fuel filter (needs it, anyway) and then if =0D
the problem remains, convert back to points once again.=0D
=0D
Go easy on me!=0D
=0D
-- =0D
Pete Chadwell=0D
1973 TR6=0D
=0D
=0D
=2E

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/gif]