Re: TR-4 Stromberg Piston update (long)

To: "Scott Tilton" <sdtilton@yahoo.com>, <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR-4 Stromberg Piston update (long)
From: <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:28:20 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
This may sound funny... but to perform a test to determine
the 'source' or the problem first.

Pull the carbs off the car.  Use a vacuum cleaner to test
how high/fast the piston rises

I use a carboard tube with a hole in it and a second tube
around which I can slide up the tube to close off the hole
in the side of the tube to control how much vacuum the
carb sees.  This will allow you to determine the 'energy'
required to lift the piston and to 'match' the pistons.

Now... the reason to go through this?  It's an easy way to see
if it's the engine piston balance problem  front/rear not
pulling the same air, not pulling enough air, verify a vacuum
leak on your intake manifolds or some other problem.

BUT most important.....
If using the vacuum cleaner, you can play with various 'ports'
on the carb and not worry about gasoline or it's effects on
the engine (rich/lean etc)  You can test it with/without dashpots etc.

Paul Tegler     ptegler@gouldfo.com    www.teglerizer.com