RE: The Ultimate Spare Part

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: The Ultimate Spare Part
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 19:18:38 -0800
Geo Hahn wrote :

> The acquisition is a 1964 TR4 -- the "Maui Car" that was on eBay
> last November and much discussed on the list.

Congratulations and Condolences <g>

> 1.  The car is now negative ground.  Because the radio is still + ground
> and the ammeter reads backwards I suspect that someone may have simply
> installed the battery the wrong way 'round.  Am I correct that sometimes
> this (just reversing the battery) can successfully polarize the starter
> and generator for negative ground?  I realize this is not the
> recommended approach, I will do it properly when I change back to +
> ground, but is there anything likely to have been damaged if the battery
> was reversed without other preparations?

Only the radio.  The starter does not need any change (including
polarization), and yes, the generator will sometimes spontaneously switch
polarization.  Not recommended, as it's hard on the cutout contacts in the
control box, but if it's working now, it's probably OK.

> 2.  Might someone with a digital camera send me a snapshot of how the
> hood sticks should look in their fully lowered and locked position?

Sorry, can't help at the moment.

Randall