Re: More help needed......

To: tigerpb@ids.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More help needed......
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:34:33 EST
In a message dated 12/24/2001 10:04:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tigerpb@ids.net writes:

> Actually the VIN number is the tag on the LH side of the windshield
> frame. This is the legal ID number for all cars sold  in the USA after
> @1972. I always  thought it strange that it was attached to a removable
> windshield frame on the TR6.The possibilities  for fraud are endless.

True. These appeared on US Triumphs from the 1969 model year on.

> The commission number is the CC number attached to the firewall.  This
> was the factories ID number used during the build process.

Well, no.  Maybe you're thinking of the BODY number? The Commission number is
what we in the US call a VIN (vehicle identification number; to call it a VIN
number is redundant, isn't it? But we ALL do that! :-) ) The numbers on the
commission number plate and the tag attached to the windshield post should
match. Of course, it doesn't always work out that way; read about the 1970
GT6+ at the following: <http://www.cwnicholls.com/Triumphs/GT6coll.html>. :-)

--Andy Mace

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this
line." -- Oscar Levant