Re: Spitfire Transmission/Overdrive Pin

To: "Barb Stiftar" <barbara.stiftar@fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Transmission/Overdrive Pin
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 20:22:59 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>I have a 72 Spitfire with what I think is a 74 gearbox (it had been replaced
>along the way by a previous owner) and a D-type O.D. unit. I was having some
>transmission problems, and in the end, disassembled it and replaced 2 gears
>and synchro units that were badly worn. During the disassembly, when I removed
>the O.D. unit from the trans, there was a small "roll pin" laying in the oil
>valley at the front end of the O.D unit. The pin measures between .185 and
>.195 inch in diameter, and .502 inch long. The O.D unit had been working
>properly when it came out of the car, and I did not come across any such pin
>in the rebuild instructions for the trans. A quick look at a schematic of the
>O.D unit does not seem to show a pin like this either. Anyone have any idea
>what this pin is and where it may have come from? Also, my brother has a 72
>and 77 Spitfire and he is thinking about putting the 1300 engine from the 72
>into the 77. He was wondering if it would be a straightforward job.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ed Stiftar

Ed --

I wonder if this might be a piece from the roller clutch in the tail
assembly of the overdrive?  I've never been inside a D-type, but both
A- and J-types have rollers about the size you describe in that
clutch.

It's conceivable that a sloppy reassembly job (when fitting tail
assembly onto overdrive) could result in one roller falling out, and
I think it would even be possible for the roller clutch to work OK if
it were short a roller.

Again, if the D-type is like the others I've looked at, it should
only take you a few minutes (and a new gasket) to take the tail
assembly off and check the roller clutch.

HTH,
Dan
--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L 'O' - with a nice shiny rear axle installed!
Front suspension & steering back together too - now for the brakes.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U 'O' - in storage.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!