Re: Getting down

To: twr@hpestwr.fc.hp.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Getting down
From: LaJoMor@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 20:55:36 EST
Todd...
Welcome to the list!

Down to bare metal....
BLASTING ....Pros-fast, effective. Cons-can be expensive if you (1) buy the
equipment yourself such as blast cabinet and compressor, or(2)take it to a
contractor to do it for you.
Frame , suspension parts, wheels, brackets, braces, and other non-body/tub
panels....blast with aluminum oxide, the 'sand' in sandblasting. Blast
cabinets are limited as to size of piece that will fit in cabinet to blast.
Using a home blast cabinet and air compressor is a relatively easy process.

Aluminum parts such as intake manifolds and other 'delicate' parts...blast
with glass beads.

Sheet metal and other 'thin' metal....blast with a media such as plastic,
soda, walnut shells etc. This will remove paint and primers but not fillers
or rust.

GRINDING/SANDING   Pros-will take off paint, rust, dirt, etc.
Yes, it will take just about anything off of metal...Cons-Dirty, messy,
laborious, and can leave marks that will not be covered by paint unless you
sand/grind through all grits.

CHEMICAL STRIPPING-Pros-Will work pretty effectively to remove just about
anything painted or coated including chemicals that neutralize rust. A number
of comments on this list previously about using aircraft stripper.
Restomotive Laboratories (makers of POR-15 rust preventative) also makes a
stripper. I have used their paint with great results...can't vouch for
stripper...never used it.
Cons....everything bad associated with the use of effective
chemicals...fumes, harmful to living tissue, mess,disposal, mess, fumes,
mess...

There are many, many knowledgeable members of this list. Don't hesitate to
post questions....I have many 3-ring binders filled with questions and
answers from this list which I re-read frequently.
Hope this helps....

Larry M
TR250