RE: Find that oil leak!

Subject: RE: Find that oil leak!
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:23:57 -0800
Pete :

The fluorescent dye is a reality, check with your local auto parts supply (I
found the dye only on sale at Kragen for $5), or with Eastwood (although I
can only seem to find the coolant dye on their web site).  They do need a
"UV" lamp, but rather than paying $50-100 for the industrial version, they
can be had at Spencer Gifts (or similar) for under $25.  In fact, last time
I looked, Home Depot sold a replacement UV fluorescent bulb for about $8,
you might already have a fixture it would work in.  (Another possibility for
the truly cheap is to salvage a suitable ballast from a broken lamp, and
solder the leads to the lamp.  I made several of these back in college.)

Another trick I've heard of (but not tried) is to use spray foot powder.

Randall