Re: TRA Rear Spring Installation

Subject: Re: TRA Rear Spring Installation
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 19:09:33 -0600
Cc: Bob Krivenko <krivenkb@pa.net>, "John Krause (home)" <jktr250@aol.com>
At 17:30 -0500 11/18/01, suhring wrote:
>After finishing the rear differential, axle and rebuilding the rear
>brakes, I decided it was time to start putting parts back "ON" the
>chassis (this is a first since the restoration started).  My plan
>was to install the back end (suspension and differential), then move
>up and install the front suspension and steering, and then run
>the brake lines from the rear up to the three way connector.
>
>After putting on the leaf springs, it was apparent that the matting
>peg on the top of the spring is way too low for the axle plate to
>engage (yes, it has been a while since I tore this down).  After
>rereading the manual and thinking this through, it is apparent that
>I need to jack up the leaf spring to a height that the plates mate
>and I can install the u-bolts to the plate along with the lever
>shock link.  Then I should be in good shape.
>
>My question to those who have BTDT, will the weight of the axle and
>differential be adequate to hold down the chassis to jack up the
>spring to the needed height (the chassis is on four stands with
>no other parts on the chassis)?  Also, where is the past place to
>position the jack so I have clearance for the plate to install
>the u-bolts? If this is not enough weight, do I need to postpone this
>installation until I have the engine and transmission installed (not
>sure when this would be, but sometime next summer is my guess).
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
>Scott Suhring
>Elizabethtown, PA
>'70 TR6
>'59 TR3

Scott --

The weight of the rear axle will not be enough to hold down the frame
if you put a jack under the spring.

I ran into the same situation on my TR3; what I did was unhook the
back end of each spring from its "shackle", and then mate each spring
with the axle.  The hardest part was getting the u-bolts through the
plate below the spring.  Then I put the washers and nuts on, along
with a generous helping of anti-seize.

At that point, I obviously had the rear ends of the springs way up in
the air - I was able to simple kneel on the end of each to put the
shackles back in place.

Be sure you have the "bump rubbers" in place on the axle tubes prior
to assembly, as you may damage the finish on your axle and frame if
you don't, and you won't be able to put them on until you either
disassemble what you just assembled or have the car together on top
of the frame to weigh it down!

Hope this explanation makes sense!  Contact me if it doesn't and I'll
try to explain better.

Dan

--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L 'O' - with a nice shiny rear axle installed!
Front suspension back together too, & steering box coming along nicely.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U 'O' - in storage.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!