RE: What's That Smell?

To: "Triumphs@autox. Team. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What's That Smell?
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:11:17 -0500
I recently posed "the smell question" to a friend who has restored several
British cars over the years.  I asked this since my first memory of a car is
of my father's 1962 TR4 and I remember being enveloped by that wonderful
smell.  We know that some of it was gas and oil which our current cars still
emit in varying quantities, but what of the lost leather smell?

If you buy a new car with leather it doesn't emit much of that wonderful
smell.  Even the Connolly leather seats in my father's Morgan (circa 1987)
don't have "the smell."

My friends reasoning was that the treatment of the leather today is much
different than in the past.  Part of this most likely has to do with
chemicals that attempt to preserve the leather and another part is most
likely the actual tanning of the leather is different due to certain
chemicals being banned by the EPA and the like.

Then again I might be off my rocker.  But I do remember the smell and it was
good.