Re: Critters

To: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Subject: Re: Critters
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 08:17:29 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
a Wallace wrote:

> In our area porcupines are the big critter problem. They love anything with
> salt, including:
> a) the glue between the layers of plywood (but just a little gnaw from each
> and every sheet is enough - thanks)
> b) the toilet seat in your outhouse (OK I live in the boonies but hey this
> is a real pain!)
> c) the lower rad hose of your car (road salt in the winter)
> d) the lower rad of your car (yup)
> (note the last two constitute LBC content)
>
> Yes, they have powerful front teeth. They are tough critters, but since
> they are so slow, and you could catch them if you were lost in the woods
> and starving, they are protected. Thus while the general consensus is "lead
> poisoning" (although it seems to take 15-20 rounds and still sometimes they
> waddle off 3 pounds heavier, leaving you out of ammo), the legal, albeit
> less humane, solution is a dinner platter of salt, evenly blended with
> cement powder.
> Unlike a mouse, it's not too hard to find the carcass (30 pounds or so).

The Ones down here in Arizona that are the most troublesome are pack rats.  If
you have a car outside for long periods of time (like your donor cars),
they will make nests in them bringing all sorts of debris in to make those
nests.  But the really bad thing they like to do is eat the insulation off
wiring.  One guy had the wiring harness chewed up in his new Oldsmobile as it
sat in his driveway!

Joe