TR 250 REAR BRAKES!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR 250 REAR BRAKES!
From: Brian Borgstede <borgstede@umsl.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 08:36:38 -0600
Nathan,
The brake cylinder is at the top of the backing plate.
On the bottom of the plate is the adjuster.  You turn the stud with
a 1/4" wrench in to tighten and out to loosen.  The brakes are not
self-adjusting like American cars.  The adjusting stud is often rusted
tight.  If you take the brake drum off, you can see how the adjuster works.
It pushes a cone shaped head on the adjusting stud between two wedges,
forcing them outward.  This pushes the brake shoes apart at the bottom.
If the stud is rusted tight, you can remove it by taking the two nuts off the
back of the backing plate and remove the adjuster from the front.  With a
little
soaking and cleaning, most can be freed up.  Keep some grease on the stud
and the wedges and adjusting the back brakes will be simple with a little
wrench.
All parts are available and the same as a TR6.