Re:Trunnion Bolt Question

To: "'pandachadwell@mac.com'" <pandachadwell@mac.com>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Trunnion Bolt Question
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:41:12 -0700
Pete Chadwell wrote:

Last night I finished reassembling the TR6's front suspension, but I
am confused about the big trunnion bolts.

The Bentley manual calls for a torque wrench setting of 50 to 65
foot-pounds.  Keep in mind, of course, that this bolt has a
castellated nut and a hole for a cotter pin.  Well, when I tighten it
down to the torque spec, the nut ends up way short of the cotter pin.
That doesn't make any sense
 the pin can't very well keep the nut
from loosening when the pin isn't engaged in the slots of the nut.
So, I undid the nut and then reinstalled it, tightening it to the
point where the cotter pin would actually be able to do its job. The
trunnion assembly feels tight, so I'm leaving it this way until the
spring when I'll have more time do get into it.

I'll plan on replacing ball joints, tie rod ends and maybe installing
nylatron bushings in the lower wishbones.  Currently the bushings are
OEM rubber, replaced about 12 years ago so they're actually in pretty
good shape.  I'll also want to employ whatever feedback I get to this
question regarding the trunnion bolt, and replace all those goofy
little sleeves, O-rings, washers and bushings that comprise the outer
wishbone 'bushings.'

Pete, do you mean that when you put the cotter pin thru the hole in the bolt
that it didnt engage the castellated nut?  If so, you may be able to add
more washers behind the nut and that should bring the nut closer to the
hole, and then the pin should engage the nut.  I didn't seem to have this
problem with the trunnion bolt although on my car the nuts on the upper
fulcrum pin came very close to having this problem.

John Lumia - 76 TR6