TR6 HS6 Update

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 HS6 Update
From: DarcyHunt@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:47:08 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I have been struggling to sort out my HS6's on my TR6.  Have installed
headers.  Vacuum retard is disconnected and timing set to 12 BTDC.  Made a
little progress but nothing definite.  The problem I'm currently experiencing
is sporatic missing mostly occuring around 2500-3000 rpm under acceleration.
Got some shims from Joe Curto and set the float to 0.187 as per his
recommendation.  Things improved somewhat.  Changed from BAE needle to super
rich BAL needle and things got better but still occassional missing.  This
Sunday I changed back to the Strombergs but occasional missing was still
there.  Put the vacuum retard back in place and problem all but disappeared.
Maybe it has been an ignition problem all along.  Any recommendations how the
timing should be set up.  I had intended to only use the mechanical advance.
With timing at idle of 12 degrees, it moves up to about 24-26 at about 3500.
Maybe to much advance, maybe to little.  I'm looking for some advice.
I told my wife I was done messing with it and quitting for the season but it
would be nice to get this resolved.

Darcy Hunter
73' TR6
No. Easton MA