Re: Speedometer Calibration

Subject: Re: Speedometer Calibration
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 12:23:53 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
A word of clarification might be in order here.  Until sometime in the
1970's, the TR series of cars all used the same speedo drive pinion gear
in the transmission.  Differences in final drive ratio and tire size
were accomodated by different speedometer heads.  So, a 4.1 TR4A had
exactly the same pinion as a 3.7, only the speedo head changed.

There is a 4-digit calibration number (in cable turns/mile) printed on
the face that distinguishes, it's typically around 1180 for 3.7 gears,
and 1350 for 4.1 gears.  Sometime mid-TR6 production, that changed, and
later TR6 all used a speedo head calibrated to 1000 turns/mile; with the
drive pinion altered to suit tires/ratios.  I'm not sure how, or if,
this applies to other S-T cars (or TR7/8).

Randall