RE: TR4 frame repair sections

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Subject: RE: TR4 frame repair sections
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 23:16:59 -0400 a .edu>
Peter,
I just went through this on my TR4A. When I bought it, the previous owner
claimed that while the tub was rough, the chassis had been rebuilt. While
this was true, the frame actually turned out to be a TR250 frame.
Here are the issues you will encounter using a TR250 frame in a TR4A.
 The steering rack is moved forward and up on the frame to make room for the
longer 6 cyl. motor. The end of the long bolt on the front of the crankshaft
ends up almost exactly on top of the rack.
Because of this situation you can't use the stock fan. That means you must
use an electic fan ($). The electric fan means you must upgrade to an
alternator to drive the fan ($$).
If you are going to use this frame under a TR4 then you now have to locate
the rest of the IRS rear suspension. This means a whole lot of extra
parts.... new diff., half shafts, hubs, rear swing arms, etc.
In my case, I decided to sell my TR250 frame and locate a TR4A frame. I
could still use my TR4A IRS rear suspension which was lucky.
What really matters is what you are willing to end up with as a final
restoration. If you are planning on never selling it, you won't have to
eventually face a buyer who isn't willing to pay your price for a non-stock
"hybrid". I had figured that if I had kept my TR250 frame I would have spent
upwards of $200 for a fan, harmonic balancer for $350 to replace the fan,
and a alternater for $150. So, for about $700, I would end up with a "mixed
breed". I bet you could buy a good TR4 frame for around $500?! You would end
up with a intact TR4 in the bargain.
Just my .02
Feel free to email me offline if you want.

I haven't updated my web page so you will see the what I mean about the
TR250 frame.

Dave Connitt
'65 TR4A
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a