Re: strange vibrations - just the head gasket!

To: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>, "Carter Shore" <clshore@yahoo.com>, <triumphs-owner@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <The_GT6_Drivers_Group@yahoogroups.com>, "CARS Spitfires@Autox. Team. Net \(E-mail\)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: strange vibrations - just the head gasket!
From: Paul Tegler <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 23:23:17 -0400
Well thanks everyone that responded
with possible conditions I might have found.

Got home from work at 4:45. By 6pm the
engine top end was totally stripped and
ready to lift the head off. Ended up spending
another 1.5 hours removing head studs
(stuck head...really stuck)  Took 2 hours to clean up the
old gasket material (that spray gasket remover
is a god send.) but it was still a master pain!

Anyway...after pulling the head the pistons
AND valves look fine!  I've got an 1" of Marvel
Mystery Oil sitting in the cyls right now
to see what kind of leak down I have.

To be honest... I think I simply blew a head
gasket.  I had ever so small water droplets
in the oil up in the valve cover area.

When I popped the head off (compression
from cranking over the engine after all the
studs were out)  the cyls ended up with the
extra anti-freeze draining into them.

After 15 minutes... none of A-F seemed to have
drained past the rings  I had to rag soak it
out of the cyls.

We'll see what the cyls have left of the oil
in them in the morning.  The carbon traces
on the head look like one small area was blowing
by into the water gallery.

wish me luck.  I appear to be in much better
shape than I thought .
The head will get cleaned up tomorrow night
and I 'll take a really close look at it and the valves

Paul Tegler      ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com