NEED: Air Flow Meter Advice or Replacement for a 1981 FI TR7

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: NEED: Air Flow Meter Advice or Replacement for a 1981 FI TR7
From: "Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), BMSLS" <rhansen@att.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:30:09 -0400
Fellow LisTRs -

If you own a FI TR7 or have experience with them, could you please read this
e-mail? I have sent it to both the TR6 List as well as the TR7/8 List and
have not received any responses.

I had a water leak and was trying to pull and replace the water pump in my
1981 FI DHC TR7. I failed. That water pump was "married" to the engine
block. I finally went to a mechanic because I couldn't get the WP out no
matter what I did.

OK. He replaced the water pump and the car runs without leaking. However, he
says that the car will not re-start once the engine is hot. He used a paper
clip to bypass the air flow meter. This clip apparently tricks the ECU so
that the car runs and starts well, even after the engine has warmed up. Of
course, the fuel pump keeps running once the ignition key is turned to the
"on" position. We can't have that!

So, can anyone recommend a procedure to investigate and fix the air flow
meter problem? What is causing this problem and how do I fix it? Does anyone
have a good AFM for sale?

Please let me know. There's darn little driving weather left!

Thanks,
Red Hansen
1958 TR3A (awaiting the time and money for a full restoration)
1974 TR6   (daily driver with an intermittent electrical short)
1981 TR7 (my wife's car; runs like a champ)
1981 TR7 (yes, I have 2 of them and this is the one that's broken)