Coolant Question - Semi LBC Related

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Coolant Question - Semi LBC Related
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:05:11 EDT
List,

My question is only semi-related to our LBCs because we use coolant......

It's time to change the coolant in my daughter's Honda Civic ('99 EX) -
routine maintenance.  It's the light red colored stuff versus the typical
green that I'm used to dealing with.  The owners manual doesn't help explain
the color.  It suggests using genuine Honda coolant (no surprise there!) or,
if in a pinch, use a high quality coolant for aluminum engines.

I've seen a product (can't remember the brand name) that is "red" that is
marketed as a long-life coolant so is that the distinction between the
coolant colors - "green" is standard life; "red" is long life?  Can "green"
coolant like Prestone's be mixed with any lingering "red" coolant without
harm?

TIA,

Chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (complete rolling chassis finished - busy assembling the
engine and getting the body ready for paint - check out my progress by
visiting http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1270980)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (enjoying the beautiful fall days)