TR4 Paint code update

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Paint code update
From: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:19:52 -0700
Having my 1964 TR4 repainted.  I quizzed the list and several other sources
for the modern paint code for Signal red.  Following is latest info and
another question for the list

PPG/Ditzler 70966 should be exact color.  It's listed in the Moss catalog and
confirmed by a couple of other sources.  The painter called me today and had
me run down to his body shop to verify it was the right color.  I couldn't
tell much, he just opened up the can and stirred it around  -  but it looked
right to me so I gave him the go ahead.  It will be better than the current
color, Mazda Red which seems to have a little orange tint in it.

One thing that puzzled me was that he originally offered to clearcoat.  He
clearcoats everything.  However, today he said that this was not a 2 stage
paint and shouldn't be clearcoated.  He told me that he could use a two stage
paint if I wanted, but the color would not be as accurate.  He feels that
clear coat may only last @ 6-8 years, but this paint would last a lot longer
if taken care of properly.  Does that sound right to you?  This is my work's
main body shop.  They repair and/or paint at least 50 of our vehicles a year,
so I trust him.  However, it doesn't hurt to double check

pw