Warning!! Transmission/ Differential Oil

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Warning!! Transmission/ Differential Oil
From: "Dave W" <dw_triumph@clear.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:31:49 +1300
My advice is DON'T use GL5 oil, in the 'box or the diff. Both have
brass/bronze parts, the gearbox/overdrive is full of them, everything from
thrust washers to synchro rings.
I pulled a diff out a while back that had been using a Castrol GL5 oil and
I'll never use the stuff again. The oil was literally foaming, and the
thickness of the bronze thrust washers that control the planet gear backlash
were only a quarter of their size (paper thin!).

I'm now using Penrite, Gearbox Oil 30 and Mild EP Gear Oil in the diff.
Which don't have any of the chemicals that eat the bronzes.

Hope this helps
DaveW
68' Mk1 PI saloon