Re: intake manifold coolant channel

Subject: Re: intake manifold coolant channel
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 08:34:35 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Scott :

A certain amount of heat is important here, to keep fuel from puddling
in the manifold and also to prevent carburetor icing.  Many earlier
engines (like the TR2-4) used a mechanical connection between the intake
and exhaust manifolds to provide the heat, but using a coolant passage
gives better control of the amount of heat.

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if fuel puddling is a
particular problem with the "toilet trap" adapters for the downdraft
Webers.  At light throttle settings, any unvaporized droplets of fuel
can accumulate in the 'trap', then be sucked into the engine in a glob
when the throttle is suddenly opened (like when you pull out to pass
that truck).

But, carb icing and fuel puddling are problems only under some
circumstances, there's a chance that if you bypass the carb/manifold
heat, you'll never have a problem.  Thing is, it's hard to predict when,
it will probably be some dark, lonely road in the middle of nowhere ...

Randall