Looks maybe deceiving

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Looks maybe deceiving
From: PeterSchop@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 01:59:04 EDT
I started to take the interior out of my TR4 tonight. I am getting it cleaned
up for the dismantle process. As I wiped down the floors, I noticed the
countor of the inside of the floor is smother than the underside of the
floor. Especially under and behind the seat. When I tapped on it, it sounded
hollow. When I inspected the drivers side floor, I saw why. There was a fire
in the car and the paint started to come off on part of the floor. What I was
now looking at was the edges of fiberglass cloth on the edge of the paint
chips. The floors seems solid underneath. Why is there fiberglass on top of
the floor? Was this a repair to the floor or was it added as sound and heat
insulation?

Next I inspected the rear wings. The bottom of the fender looks like new. No
rust. I am trying to make the decision on whether or not to remove the rear
fenders before I take the tub off the frame. The reason I am hesitant is that
somewhere along the way, a PO removed the beading strips and filled all the
body seams on the rear of the car. I like the look so I could live with that.
On a closer look, I think the PO did more than just remove the beading strip.
>From looking at the MOSS catalog, it looks like inner wheel arch panel is
sandwiched between the fender and the rear deck panel. The fender bead strip
then goes on top of the inner wheel arch panel. Is this right? Well, on my
car, the rear deck panel is sandwiched between the inner wheel arch panel and
the fender. If I look up from inside the trunk, I can see the top of the
inner wheel arch. At one time the panel started to rot out along the top. It
has since been repaired and painted the same as the body. Where the rear deck
panel and fender are bolted together (looking from inside the wheel well) it
looks solid with no signs of corrosion. Of course it is sprayed with an
undercoating so I could be missing something. I think it would be a lot
easier if I left the rear fenders on. Is this looking for trouble down the
road?

Peter Schoppelry
'63 TR4 CT24422