RE: Emission Stuff

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Emission Stuff
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 22:51:47 -0400
Randall, thanks very much for the reply.

> ...with a fairly large-bore tube routed from the other end of the
> valve cover (or the hole for the road draft tube if it's still there), to
> the air cleaner housing.

Not sure what you mean by the "road draft tube"; that's a term I've never
heard before in all my 52 years!  However I don't have a good air cleaner
attachment point.  It's got two K&N's, nice shiny chrome and no holes.

> Thus, when there is manifold vacuum, fresh clean
> air will be drawn through the crankcase.  And, when there is no manifold
> vacuum, any blowby will flow out the added tube and be sucked into the
> intake and burned.

Ah, so that's how my Fiat 124 Spider worked.  I always wondered.

The PO (actually, a shop he had taken the car to) had removed the PCV valve
on the premise that it was a cause of the poor running.  (That didn't help.)
 I have since improved the running dramatically and for several reasons
restored the PCV valve.  Now though I suspect that my remaining problems are
due to an air leak, most likely in the hose from the PCV valve to the
manifold.  After all, it is old rubber.  I'm tempted just to remove it
(especially if I can't find a replacement hose) and run a long hose from the
valve cover to someplace under the car, unless you convince me of a better
idea.  I'm open to suggestions...

Your obedient servant,
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com