Re: Let the restoration begin (long)

To: hansenc@zianet.com
Subject: Re: Let the restoration begin (long)
From: PeterSchop@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 18:00:57 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subj:   Re: Let the restoration begin (long)
Date:   10/5/2001 1:37:51 PM Central Daylight Time
From:    hansenc@zianet.com (Cliff Hansen)
To:    PeterSchop@aol.com

>Peter,
>
>Ready for the plunge, are you?  Good.
>
>By all means take all four fenders off the car.  If you don't you'll kick
>yourself later.  The fenders tend to rust where they curve over the
>rockers, you can't inspect this area without removing them.  I suspect
>you'll find rust, you may also find that the flanges along the top edges
>are rusted too.
>
>I wouldn't take the doors off just yet.  You need them on to check the
>alignment of the A and B posts.  I'd leave them on unless you absolutely
>have to get them out of the way, and then only after you've fashioned some
>braces to keep the door opening square.  Unless, that is, they're already
>screwed up, in which case it doesn't matter much.

The passenger door opens perfectly but the drivers door is out of alignment.
I think it is from the mounting pads between the body and the frame burning
up in the fire. I have a pair of braces I from another TR4 rebuild that I can
bolt on. Don't I want the doors off when I paint the tub?

>The frame repair you describe should be straightforward, the only hard part
>will be to find the right size of square stock and to make sure that the
>suspension towers haven't moved.  If I recall correctly, the TR4 does not
>have camber or caster adjustments for the front suspension, it relies on
>the proper suspension geometry.

Are there any companies that make replacement parts for the frame?  I only
need to replace the part of the frame that goes to the suspension towers.

>You didn't say, how are the floors and rockers?  If you plan on replacing
>either properly, you'll have to get the fenders off.

the rockers sills and floors are good. Only a little surface rust on the
drivers side floor where the paint blistered off from the fire. Easily fixed.