Re: TR6 still won't start!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 still won't start!
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 17:46:55 -0400
AF writes:
> I had the day off and spent it in the garage
> trying to troubleshoot  my Ignition Problem.

Have you checked that the engine ground strap is still in okay?  (If it
isn't, I would expect the starter not to function too, but perhaps it's a
contributing factor.)

1. You get no spark at all while cranking?  But you get voltage to the coil
when not cranking? :: Check that you ballast resistor bypass wire is intact.

2. It kicks when cranking but then won't run and shows no voltage to the
coil when you stop cranking? :: Your ballast resistor or its wiring is
broken.

3. You get voltage to the coil whether cranking or not, but no spark anyway?
:: Your coil itself may have no ground.  Did you perhaps recently paint the
firewall or wherever the coil is mounted?

4. Your coil case is grounded and you get voltage to the coil whether
cranking or not, but you get no spark? :: Check that the voltage is making
its way all the way in to the dizzy internals.  I once had a Datsun that
wouldn't fire because the screw that was supposed to carry current through
the dizzy sidewall just wasn't electrically touching the stud it was holding
in place. :: Check that you see spark across the points when you open them
by hand with the ignition turned on.  If you don't, then either your wiring
from coil to dizzy is suspect or the points or condensor in the dizzy are
permanently shorted to ground, thereby preventing the open/close cycle.

Of course, you may already have checked all this stuff...

Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com
'80 Spitfire (Percy)
'70 GT6+ (Nigel)