Re: Re. While motor's out, what else would u do? http://netwinsite.com

To: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>, LaJoMor@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re. While motor's out, what else would u do? http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm
From: "Phil Ethier"<pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 20:07:06 GMT
> I actually have an alloy flywheel that weighs less than 10
>lbs, but they convinced me not to use it unless all I was doing was
>highway driving.  Apparently too light is not good for your low rev
>acceleration,

Actually, it's good for low-rev acceleration, as long as the clutch is engaged
and the car is already moving.

A light flywheel is terrible for trying to get the car started from a dead stop.
 Stories are legion of the problems that people have had trying to get race
cars "off the dime" without destroying the clutch.  Especially since many race
cars have very little low-speed torque in the first place.

Driving a light-flywheel car around town would be a pretty annoying experience.