Re: OWH 6 months

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OWH 6 months
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 20:20:49 +0100
Hi Ken
I used to drive Heralds (estates mainly, the last one being known to all as
the shed!!) Mine were the 1360 variant, I found I rarely got passed, most
would ask what the hell do you have under the bonnet (hood)? To which I
would reply a bog standard 1296cc except for twin 1 1/2" SU's from a
Dolomite 1500.
This combo was good for the ton though I have to say I had set up the wheel
alignment absolutely bang on book specs except for the front camber which I
set at 1.5 deg negative (more suited to radial tyres) instead of whatever
deg positive it should have been for the crossply tyres as standard.
Although it would do the ton, it was perfectly in harmony at about 90mph
when it just seemed to come on song, with the cacophony from the engine
turning to a sweet puuuurrrr!!
The temperature will be like this unless you happen on the right thermostat,
I went through about a dozen until I found one that worked, all were marked
as 88 deg but until I found THE one it always ran like yours relative to
ambient temp.

Fuel tank, if you found an estate car tank and floor boards to fit to your
car this would give another couple of gallons alternatively I think the
Vittesse tank also holds more, and is of the same general configuration as
the Herald.
As for your mileage, I used to drive like a nutter, flat through the gears
everywhere I went and even with the twin carbs I got around 35 MPG and that
on local journeys,yes I know your gallons are smaller, but I would expect to
have got into the forties on a long run. My mileage actually improved on the
twin carbs as did the acceleration.
The seats are a bit thin on padding, but I fitted a pair of Dolomite seats,
a bit wider and a little higher on the seat, but 100 times more comfortable.
We had some unexpected snow here on the Isle of Wight when I had my Herald
and I found I was still able to make headway even when cars which in theory
should have been more capable couldn't, of course I don't know the abilities
of the drivers of these cars, even a 4X4 can get stuck in the hands of an
idiot!
Over here they are real good conversation starters, nearly everyone seems to
have an Aunt, Uncle, Father, Mother, Brother, etc who had one, learnt to
drive in one ("BSM" British School of Motoring had them as learner cars). I
have met some real characters through the Herald.
And no they are not easy to loose in a parking lot, unless they are
surrounded by SUV's?!
Ken, you keep driving it like a modern and enjoy it like the classic it
really is, have much more fun than most on the road, doesn't it feel much
faster than it is where your but is so close to the road!

Graham,
Missing his old shed! reg LDL 960G