Fuel pump follies

To: "TRIUMPH TR6 (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel pump follies
From: Ed Quinn <equinn@airtreatment.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 09:10:28 -0700
Hello all,
Note 72 TR6 "Quelle joi"

After the water pump fiasco, I received my fuel pump rebuild kit, in one day
I might add from Moss.

Well, who ever thought of rebuilding the fuel pump should have been shot.  I
know the engineer who designed the thing considered it "throw away".  After
several hours trying to get the pressed-in valves out with screwdrivers,
pliers, tin snips, hammer, chisel, punch, I damn near resorted to air
chisel.  Well finally got them out, fitted new ones with the aid of a socket
and BFH.  All's well.  The PO had brazed the leaving fuel pipe together, so
the only way to get it back in (with all parts in the way) was to fit the
leaving pipe, then using contortionism fit the pump.....no problem.  The
problem arrived with the incoming pipe.  I decided that it looked straight
and proceeded to tighten the pipe.  Upon inspection it was not only clear
that the pipe was leaking (from the several gallons of gas now on the
floor), but due to the crooked nature of the pipe.  You can see where this
is going.  Removed pipe, refitted, more metal shavings and by now I think
the level of gas is equal to the fuel pump.  Turned on fan, and ventilated
garage, fan was still on when I left the house this morning.

My Questions:
1)  Is the Santa Monica meet this weekend
2) Can I get rid of the mechanical fuel pump - replace with electric - is
this advisable?
3) Can I hook into the fuse box if 2 is recommended?
4) Can I get the parts from Autozone etc...stock items?

If 1 is true and 2 is false then ....crap
If 1 is false the 2, 3, and 4, are not as urgent.
If 1 is true and 2 is true then 2, 3, and 4 will bring another story for
this weekend

Regards
Ed
72 TR6