RE: Mysteries of hydraulicsS

Subject: RE: Mysteries of hydraulicsS
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 18:42:41 -0700
> Of course, the question is complicated by the fact that master
> cylinders and slave cylinders rarely (if ever) have the same bore and
> stroke.  Let me state right here and now that I realize fully that
> hydraulic systems CAN offer some amplification of force and movement
> when cylinder bore & stroke specs are dissimilar.

Pete :

What you've stated is exactly correct.  If the bore is the same, there is no
amplification of force or movement (in fact there's a very slight loss of
both).

In order to amplify either force or movement, the bores must be dissimilar.
If the slave's bore is larger, the slave exerts more force, but doesn't move
as far.  If the slave's bore is smaller, the slave exerts less force, but
moves farther.  Both effects are in proportion to the relative areas of the
bores.

For instance, with a 3/4" diameter master, and a 1" diameter slave, the
ratio of the areas is (.75^2 / 1.00^2) or 0.5625.  So, if the master moves
1", the slave moves 0.5625".  If a force of 100 lbf is applied to the
master, the slave exerts a force of (100/.5625) or 177.8 lbf.  (Once things
stop moving and ignoring friction, hose swelling and whatnot.)

Randall