Re: Next question - Tenax fasteners

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Next question - Tenax fasteners
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 20:35:53 -0400
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 22:50:27 +0100, you wrote:

>Bob Kinderlehrer wrote:

>When I removed these fasteners for the top and tanneau before the body
>work started, there was nothing between the back of he fastener and the
>body of the car.

I may be on the wrong page here because I don't know what  "Tenax"
fasteners are.  However it sounds as if they're similar to the
lift-the-dot thingy's used on other Triumphs.  Needing to rivet these
puppies on the fresh paint of my Spitfire I had similar concerns.  I
decided to apply a small dab of black dum-dum prior to the process.
The dum-dum is too soft to prevent damage to the paint but I'm hoping
it will serve to seal the assembly against water ingress.  As I
applied pressure with rivet tool it oozed out around the circumference
in a most satisfactory manner. :-)    It cleans up quickly with
mineral spirits and is thereafter undetectable.  We'll see if this
works.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley