throttle shaft bushing rebuilt

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: throttle shaft bushing rebuilt
From: francois wildi <fwildi@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 15:00:15 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: fwildi@as.arizona.edu
It is my turn to share my experience rebushing throttle shafts.
I was lucky enough to convince Ernie at Ernie's british cars here in
Tucson to buy a COUNTERBORE and a REAMER from Joe Curto and rent them
to other Tucson British Car Register members. At $65 and $110
respectively, you need a certain number of carbs to make it worth it,
but not too many.
Anyhow, the counterbore comes with a huge pilot and you can bore out
the old bushings, with the counterbore guided on both sides of the
carb. Works at lot better on the drillpress than on the lathe (BTDT).
The reamer is the same as the one in the Moss catalogue, just STD
rather than oversize.

a)Bore an old one out
b)press a new one in
c)repeat a) and b) 4 times
d)ream the new bushings

With the right tools that a pleasure.

BUT: unlike what I was told by other list members,
a) the diameter to bore out is 3/8 and not 25/64  (I was doing HS6's)
b) the bushings have to be reamed even when they are aligned
correctly. The bore is just too small to let the shaft through.

Francois
http://phone.yahoo.com