Re: Suspension Question--Solved (now English grammar)

To: randallyoung@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Suspension Question--Solved (now English grammar)
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:01:52 +1000 FILETIME=[EF299F10:01C12F86]
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Randall  wrote:

>While I still can't find my OED, Haynes seems to pretty consistently
>spell the angle as 'castor'.  I suspect that's the British spelling ...

To confuse matters even further the Oxford Concise Dictionary (can't get
more British than that) lists caster as "machine for casting type" then says
"also see castor", castor is then defined as a substance from a beaver, THEN
there is a third combined listing under "castor, caster" of which there are
several meanings listed, the last of which is "swivelling of vehicle wheels
to ensure stability". From what I can make out, the listing seems to imply
that 'caster' is meant to correspond with this meaning and 'castor' with the
other meanings under the combined listing.

Typcially (confusingly) British. So in summary, the British may have had a
bet both ways in terms of the spelling...

Cheers,
Michael
63' TR4