Re: GT6 Front Wheel Bearings

To: "Martin Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 Front Wheel Bearings
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 01:06:07 -0400
What exactly do you mean by "tapered sleeve"? I am hoping you are just
referring to the bearing  cup which is in the hub itself, and not the
bearing center which is what contacts the stub axle!

If you are referring to the bearing cup in the hub, there is a little slot
inside the hub on either side to allow you to tap them out with a drift pin
from the opposite side. Sometimes takes a few good whacks to drive out. If
you are replacing the bearings, replace the cups as well! The cups wear, and
this can cause damage to new bearings. You can replace the cups, and retain
old races, but not vise-versa. (Though not usually recommended, either)

If you are referring to the inner bearing in the race, these do not come
out! Unless of course they are worn out, such as my diffy bearings were- the
pinion head bearing dropped, and exploded on the floor! However, it was out
of the loop at that point anyway.

As to grease, be sure to fully pack the new races- I prefer by hand over
that blasted greaser thingy sold at all the parts shops. Just put a big
dollop of grease in your non-main hand(ie: right handed use left, and so on)
and then, holding the bearing race in your other hand, press the open edge
of the larger side of the bearing  into the grease. Just repeat on each
section till grease pushes out the opposite side, then rotate to the next
area and pack likewise. Do this till the bearing has been fully packed all
the way around. Then, smear a generous portion about the outside of the
bearing race circumference. Set the bearing down on a clean sheet of
plastic, and do the next. Then, with your fingers, pack the hub- usually
this entails filling the cavity between the cups, and then making sure there
is room for the stub axle to go through. Not too much grease though! Put
your inner wheel bearing into the hub, and install your seal, then put it
onto the axle. Install the outer bearing, and the flat washer and nut, and
adjust.

Make sure to use high temperature disk brake grease for those front hubs!
Otherwise, it may leak out, and make stopping a whole new adventure.

Last but not least, As most people on the list know- I most certainly
advocate securing an original or reprint FACTORY service manual. Much better
to work from.

Scott