TR6 Front Suspension Woes

Subject: TR6 Front Suspension Woes
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 08:40:30 -0700
Folks:

I'm still fishing for some advice on the following:

Well, it appears I'm paying for some neglect, folks.  Now that I have
the Triumph up in the air in preparation for rebuilding the gearbox
and installing a new exhaust system, I've discovered another problem.

I've noticed over the past few days, as the TR has been sitting in
the garage, that the right front wheel looked like it had a good deal
more negative camber than the left front wheel.  So now I've got it
up on stands with the wheels removed and I see the reason for excess
negative camber.  The boxed section that partially surrounds the
shock turret is coming apart.  The upper wishbone pivot mounts to a
flat plate, which is the top of this boxed section around the spring
perch.  Well, that upward-facing flat mounting surface has separated
from the rest of the box, and from the shock turret as well.  There
doesn't appear to be any damage to any of the actual suspension parts
themselves.

I need input as to what will have to be done to rectify this.  It
appears that once the suspension is removed, all that would be
required would be to bend the pieces back into proper alignment and
weld it back together.  However, it seems that maybe some
reinforcement would be in order.

I can't believe I was driving it around like this!

Thanks as always.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6