Re: TR3a Heads

To: <Shrack04@aol.com>, " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3a Heads
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 01 09:17:42 -0700
>  The cracked one has the slanted bottom to the thermostat
>housing, (2nd phase high port).  The replacement head, has the rounded
>bottom thermostate housing (1st phase high port).
>Question #1,  Is the 2nd phase high port head alot better than the 1st phase
>high port head.?  and why?

The phase 2 high port head is supposed to have more metal between the
mottom of the head and the water jacket and thus be more resistant to
cracking  and more forgiving when shaving metal off the head.

Of course if the bipass is blocked off so water is not allowed to flow
through the head while the thermostat is closed all bets about head
survivability are off.

>Note: I also installed 86 mm sleeves and pistons during the rebuild.  I read
>where they used the 3rd phase high port head with the 86 mm sleeves and
>pistons Thus,

THey  added a camphor along the side of the combustion chaimber to
increase squish head volume and keep the compression down to 9:1

>Question #2,  Is the use of the 1st phase low port head with the 86 mm
>pistons a problem and what does this do to comperssion ratio?

It will raise the compression ratio and the engine will probably go like
stink.

>Question #3,  How do  I boost octane from the premium unleaded?

Mix in ocatane booster or higher octane fuel.

>Qustion #4,  Any lead additives out there that work,? and do I mix both,
>lead and octane boost?

Didn't you have hardened seats installed in the head?  It seems to take
forever for unleaded to cause real damage.  I'm not sure if a lead
additive really helps.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
webmaster@overlander.net      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html