Re: FYI: BFGoodrich brand (Rolls)

To: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Subject: Re: FYI: BFGoodrich brand (Rolls)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:04:55 -0400
Cc: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Steven Newell
>More or less. VW bought Rolls Royce (and Bentley), but after
a bidding war with BMW they failed to secure the rights to
the Rolls name -- which BMW owned through Rolls-Royce
PLC (aircraft engines). Last I heard, through 2002 VW gets
to use the Rolls Royce name for the car company they spent
a gazillion deutsche mark for, then they'll be left with Bentleys.
Which isn't really that bad of a fate, but it's doubtful VW would
have paid a premium for Bentley alone. I read in one of the
links below that BMW plans 1500 Rolls, VW 10,000 Bentleys.
<

In the context of the post the question was who owns the Rolls Royce Car
company.  BMW and Volkswagon were in a bidding war and VW prevailed.  Not
to be a good looser, BMW approached the holding company who owned both the
RR car company and the RR aircraft company (Vickers, I believe)and bought
the NAME.

But anyway, the concept of THE world's premier motor car being built by VW
seems a bit oxymoronic, doesn't it?

And I don't know the status of the air craft company formerly known as
Rolls-Royce.

Dave