RE: TR3 Tops/Miscellany

To: "'Steven Newell'" <steven@cravetechnology.com>, "Augustine, Richard S. (LNG-SHEP)" <Richard.Augustine@LexisNexis.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Tops/Miscellany
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:52:43 -0400
FWIW-
        I think the shortcomings of the TR heaters are due largely to the
wienie motor they used....  I installed a more modern motor ( same basic
shape and size) in my heater core after the old one swallowed too much
coolant and seized.  The resultant blast of well warmed air, from the same
fan blade assembly- actually clears the fog off the windscreen and provides,
well, at least some level of comfort in the cockpit. The noise isn't even
too bad.
Regards,
        Bob Westerdale
        TS36967 59 3A

Scott wrote:

> >6. Has anyone found a local source for a better heater core? I've read
the
> >suggestions in TRSC's "Tech Talk". (Might have been SCTOA).
>
> No, I've heard some type of old jeep heater core will work, you could try
> helpful autoparts store with catalogs that have pictures or drawing and
> specs.  OTOH, I've never had a problem with the amount of heat I got out
of
> mine, even as a daily driver in the winter in Colorado, especially with
the
> hard top on.

Having driven old jeeps through a number of midwestern winters, I'd say
the TR3 heater would have to be pretty poor for a jeep heater to be an
upgrade. <g> My TR4 is an oven by comparison -- though in fairness
there's less volume to heat.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO