Re: GM alternator conversion hits home( with sub titles )

To: jmerone@rocketmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GM alternator conversion hits home( with sub titles )
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 21:22:48 EDT
jmerone@rocketmail.com writes:

<< The groaning and rumbling of the alternator bearings
 started just 25 miles into the ride home.  We had 175
 more to go.  But the Lucas was still putting out a
 minimal charge, the tank was full, the sun would be up
 for another 3 hours, and I had a series of crash
 points and friends picked out along the way if we blew
 up.

(  It's 200 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, 1/2 pack of
cigarettes, it's dark and we are wearing sun glasses.)

 So we went for it.
(  Hit it! )

 Although my foot was numb and in true pain due to
 steady positioning, I never let off the gas and
 dropped below 2500 rpm's once.

(Police in pursuit, excessive force has been approved.  Cars from the
anti-destination league blocking the left lane.  Some nuts in a red Pinto
wagon and Brown LTD wagon also in pursuit.)

My wife offered to
 drive but I feared any chance that slack in the belt
 would give the altenator a chance to do bad things.
 And for once in my life I was dead right.  As we
 pulled off the exit only 2 miles from home I had to
 stop for a light.  It seized immediately and all hell
 broke loose.

( < Smoke cloud >   What happened?  )

The noise, the smell, the swearing (me).

( it's the motor, I think it threw a rod. )

What to do?  Punch it, run all the red lights and
 head for home

( The Richard M. Daily plaza )

- smoke pouring out the rear.  Past the
 cars lined up at the mall, past the police station,
 through the intersections we go with no regard to the
 law.  The belt then finally let loose and we started
 to overheat!
 Barreled through my neighborhood at 50mph {wave to the
 pissed off neighbors} and into the driveway.

( < Car then falls apart >)

Oh oh,
 the other car is in the garage.  "Who's got the keys?
 And where's the door opener?"

( Can you tell me where the Cook County tax assessors office is? )

All the while the
 Triumph is billowing steam now out from under the hood
 {neighbors now understand}.

( SWAT team alerted )

 We laughed like hell when it was all over.

( <Jail House Rock plays in the background>)

So after 16 years of owning a 27 year old car it's
 time for Trevor to get the GM alternator conversion.
 Dan Masters is my new best friend. I'm downloading his
 instructions off of the vtr pages now.

 Reports to come.

 Joe Merone
 CF18928   >>