Re: Yahoo!/Red-Line Driving

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Yahoo!/Red-Line Driving
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 15:49:18 EDT
Wow, normally we're lucky here to get one contender for "Inane Thread du Jour";
now we've got two. ;-)

Normally I steer clear of these, but....

>>Red-Line Driving.

This thread has already deteriorated to Hatfield v. McCoy-level feuding.
Arguing about how one should or must enjoy her/his "sports car" is like arguing
over whether one should eat all the mashed potatoes first or take bites of
steak in between.

My dad loved to simply go to work and back with the wind in his hair, and
sometimes take the family on day trips, with the wind in everyone's hair. I
doubt he ever saw 3500 RPMs in any car he ever drove. I autocrossed and rallyed
and flogged my way around back roads...and commuted, and hauled lumber, tools
and goodness knows WHAT else -- in the same car(s). Which of us was "wrong"?

>>E-mail discussion list providers and mechanisms.

Having either set up and run or actively participated in e-mail lists on the
following, I can safely and somewhat authoritatively say: MajorDomo can be
good. Yahoo! can be good. Listproc can be good. Listerv can be very good (if
you can afford it). All of the above and probably most others can be configured
in many different ways. A knowledgeable and caring listowner will do his/her
best to set up a list to provide the greatest possible benefit to those who
CHOOSE (keyword) to subscribe using dozens if not hundreds of different mailers
and Internet providers.

AFAIK, pretty much all of the above list management tools can be set to accept
or block some or all attachments. They can be set to default to reply-to-sender
or reply-to-list. They can have digests, archives, etc. They're all as good --
OR as bad -- as those who set them up AND those who use or abuse them.

Oh, and any archive is only about as good as the most, er, careless participant
who manages to bury valuable information about adjusting windscreen washer jet
pressure under a three-week old Subject: line dealing with polyurethane bonnet
pivot bushings (or, worse yet, whatever_list_digest #1147).

Go Team.Net! ;-)

--Andy Mace