TR6 Newspaper Article

Subject: TR6 Newspaper Article
From: Jon <blueturtles@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 07:58:19 -0700 (PDT)
Hello to all,

I am usually asking for help or looking for a part,
but this time it is a little different. My father who
knows my interest in Triumph cars, clipped this
newspaper article out of the Albuquerque Journal
(Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA). Dated July 6, 2001;
kind of cool some 30 years after the first TR6 came
out and they are still writing about the car!!! It is
not everyday that you get to read about the Triumph
brand in today's newspapers (except in the "want
ads"). I scanned the article into the computer and I
just thought I would pass it along to the mailing
lists! Enjoy!

Jon
1974 - Triumph TR6, CF17451U [this is my current
"friend"]
1971 - Triumph TR6, CC60412L [owned this one about ten
years ago - has any seen it?]

TR6: THE RUGGEDLY HANDSOME TWO-SEATER IS CONSIDERED
THE PINNACLE OF THE TRIUMPH LINE
By Malcolm Gunn Wheelbase Communications

"I don't know how the car can stand up to that kind of
serious abuse", I would often say to myself. The car
in question was a 1971 mustard yellow Triumph TR6
sports car, a graduation present that my friend Gord
had bought for himself. Fresh out of University and
now a full-fledged architect, Gord had replaced his
long-since rusted out TR3, the one with the tiny doors
and ill-fitting side-curtain windows, for this latest
creation from the British Leyland conglomerate.

Gord loved cars, but knew nothing and cared even less
about their inner workings. He simply enjoyed flogging
the bejeepers out of them at every opportunity, and
his latest prize was no exception. His favorite
attention-getting tactic was to bomb around town with
the top down, wearing a rooster-shaped cap he had
acquired from some frat house halloween party. The
effect was startling, if not a bit disturbing, but
Gord, a full-blown eccentric in his own right, cared
little about what others thought. He was having a good
time, and got a kick out of the 'Chicken Man' title
his friends bestowed upon him.

Fortunately, the sturdy new TR6 was up to Gord's
heavy-handed driving style, at least for the first few
years of ownership.

The TR6 was first launched in 1969 to rave reviews. It
had been preceded by the short-lived TR5 and TR250
models that introduced six-cylinder power to the
TR-series for the first time. The

TR6's inline 2.5-liter pushrod (OHV) motor was
basically a carry-over from the TR250, as were most of
its mechanical bits. However the bodywork had been
restyled by Karmann, the same company that had
designed the Volkswagen Karmann Ghia and built the
Beetle convertible. The major cosmetic changes
consisted of moving the headlights out to the edge of
each fender, and creating a chopped-off or
'Karmann-style' rear end. The result was a whole new
lean and mean image for the Triumph, which proved
popular with buyers, particularly in North America
where 90 percent of the TR6's 94,619 total production
were shipped (including every car manufactured after
1974).

Less popular with buyers, though, was the loss of
power that resulted from the new emission controls
that became mandatory on all new vehicles beginning in
the late 1960s. To meet these anti-pollution
requirements, Triumph was forced to replaced the TR6's
export model's fuel-injection system with  a pair of
Stromberg side-draft carburetors. The result was an
output of slightly more than 100 horse-power, a
significant reduction compared to the home market's
152 horsepower rating.

Performance also suffered, with a l0-second-plus 0-60
mph time, nearly two seconds slower than the proper
British fuel-injected version.

Despite this power shortage, the TR6 was still
considered a lively performer and its low center of
gravity, four-wheel independent suspension and front
disc brakes resulted in the car earning high marks in
the fun-to-drive department. The cockpit was also a
comfortable and cosy spot with plenty of leg, shoulder
and elbow room for two.

But the real magic began when the engine was turned
on, the four speed gearbox was snicked into first gear
and the relatively heavy clutch pedal was returned to
the rest position. The burbling exhaust note emanating
from the TR6 was sweet music to both passengers and
passers by.

On the down side, the TR6's minimal rear suspension
travel resulted in much bottoming-out over rough or
even moderately uneven pavement, transmitting a
jarring thud through the driver's lower back. Also,
the folding solf top (a removable fiberglass hard top
was optional), although easier to erect than that of
the MGB, still fell short of the class-leading Fiat
124's one-piece instant up/down lid.

By 1973, British Leyland was forced to add two
grotesque chunks of rubber attached to the far end of
each of the TR6's front and rear bumpers in order to
satisfy the ever-tightening North American safety
regulations. Although they provided a measure of
protection from mild trauma, they interrupted the
car's otherwise clean and graceful lines.

After a seven-year production run, the last TR6 rolled
out of the Canley, England plant in July, 1976. Its
replacement, the TR7, was a thoroughly modernized
sports car, with unit body construction, aerodynamic
styling and trendy pop-up headlights. The new model
was a popular seller, but its buzzy four-cylinder
powerplant meant it lacked the heart and soul of the
more muscular looking (and sounding) TR6.

Somehow, I can't imagine the hard-charging Chicken Man
driving anything but.

Malcolm Gunn is Wheelbase Communications' chief road
tester and historic writer. Wheelbase is a world-wide
supplier of autormobile news, reviews and features.
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/