Overdrive for 72 TR6

To: WILLIAM <wlentz@beverly-grant.com>
Subject: Overdrive for 72 TR6
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 09:40:00 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by WILLIAM
>For some strange reason, after many, many years without; I have gone and
bought a '72 TR6.  Liked what I found, except it does not have overdrive.
Any recomendations on how to proceed with a conversion.

Has anyone had any luck finding a salvage transmission with A type
overdrive? About what would one expect to pay for one with an unknown
history?

Assuming that one could be found, are  there many modifications required to
the drive train to make the switch (other than adding the electrics)?
<

William,

Few TR6's were imported with overdrive so concequently they are rather rare
here in the states.  That means that there are some about but it may take
years to find one.  I happened across one for my TR3 and I snatched it up
even though I really couldn't afford it at the time (actually, I could
afford it I just hadn't budgeted it) and I have no regrets.

There are no modifications required to the car save the wiring you
mentioned.

Other options (from finding a complete unit) include finding an overdrive
unit and adding it to your present box (which requires a complete teardown
and rebuild) and the Toyota 5-speed retrofit.  There are kits available
(from New Zealand, I believe) which include a special bell housing which
allows you to retofit a Toyota 5-speed transmission which are much more
common in the local wrecking yards and although it detracts from
originality it gives you the overdrive gearing you seek.

Good luck

Dave