Re: Setting dwell

Subject: Re: Setting dwell
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 07:19:53 -0700
Cc: triumph mail list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Brian Sanborn wrote:

> I have an old Heathkit tune-up meter I built back in the 70s and use the
> electric tach all the time.  I would love to check the point gap more
> precisely if I knew the dwell spec for the TR 4-banger and how the dwell is
> calculated and behaves as you change the pont gap.

The TR2/3 factory workshop manual gives the dwell as 60 degrees, +/- 3
degrees.  It's reasonable to assume the TR4 uses the same value, and the
Glenn's manual shows 60 degrees for the TR4.  (Of course, it also shows
49 degrees for the TR2, which I'm at a loss to explain.)

Dwell is defined as the number of degrees of distributor rotation that
the points stay closed for each firing.  Most dwell meters actually
measure duty cycle and display the result as dwell angle, by scaling as
appropriate for the number of cylinders.  (Eg full scale = 90 degrees
for a 4-cyl, 60 for a 6-cyl, 45 for a 8-cyl)

A narrower point gap means the points are closed longer, the dwell angle
is higher.  Wider gap = lower dwell angle.

Any questions ?
Randall