Re: OD bench temperature measurements

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Timothy Holbrook" <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: OD bench temperature measurements
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:57:21 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Tim,

First, I forgot to mention that we ran each OD an hour before measuring the oil
temperature.

You're sort of right on the solenoids.  However, the A type has two coils.  The
pull-in coil draws between 15 and 20 amperes but is switched out of the circuit
by the plunger bottoming.  If it is not switched out, the ~200 watts will
destroy the coil very quickly.  The holding coil, (the second coil) draws a
little less than 1 ampere but that produces sufficient magnetic force to hold
the plunger in, once it is operated. (1 ampere at 12 volts produces 12 watts)
Since the pull-in coil is in the circuit for less than a second, it contributes
essentially nothing to the solenoid temperature or average power.  The high
current required of the pull-in coil does however necessitate the relay.

The J Type solenoid uses a single coil.  The pull in requirements are better
defined since there are no adjustments; the valve is an integral part of the
solenoid.  Apparently they were able to make just one higher current coil do the
pull-in job and have a low enough dissipation to also be used to hold the valve
operated and not burn itself up when powered continuously.   The J type solenoid
on our unit drew 1.75 amperes after it was hot, hence the 21 watts.    The ~ 2
amperes can be handled by the OD and gearbox switches directly.

Nelson